Maps and directions
Below you will find information on how to get to Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome by road and by air. Please click on the heading which applies for more details.
Stow Maries Aerodrome
Tel: 01245 429134
Entry for cars via Hackmans Lane only. Sat nav use CM3 6RJ
Entry for coaches is via Crows Lane only. Sat nav use CM3 6RN
Please park in the grassy, roped-off designated area on the left as you approach the buildings (it can be muddy if wet).
Directions from the M25
- At Junction 28 of the M25, turn North on the A12.
- At Junction 18 (Chelmsford Park and Ride) of the A12, turn East on the A414 towards Danbury and continue through Danbury towards Maldon.
- At the roundabout take the 2nd exit, straight across, onto the B1010 Burnham Road.
- Take the first right, Marlpits Road, towards Cock Clarks and Cold Norton.
- At the crossroads, go straight on. This is now Hackmans Lane.
- Follow Hackmans Lane through the village of Cock Clarks towards Cold Norton.
- Approximately 1.5 miles from Cock Clarks, there is a large sign on the right hand side advertising Stow Maries RFC Aerodrome at the entrance to Flambirds Farm.
- Turn right down the concrete track through the farm to the Aerodrome (0.75 miles).
- Park in the designated grassy cordoned off area to the left before you reach the main buildings.
- Visitors should report to the Engine Workshop Museum, on the right hand side, almost opposite the large green hangar.
Due to technical issues, Stow Maries will not be accepting incoming air traffic to the field until 31 March 2017. This is so we can undertake repairs to our grass runways.
Please contact email@example.com for details.
Runways: 02/20 680 metres by 60 metres, grass.
Determine runway in use from windsocks.
Airfield elevation 185 feet.
Contact Southend Radar 130.775 with 10 miles to run.
Change to Stow Maries Radio 118.975 with 2 miles to run.
Make blind “traffic” calls if no reply.
Overhead join 1200ft QNH
No deadside, do NOT fly to East of airfield, all circuits to the west.
Left hand on 02, right hand on 20.
Circuit height 800 ft QFE.
Park outside Pilots Ready Room (marked with “C”), book in.
Landing fee £10.
Co-ordinates: N5140.23 E00037.58
Runway 15/33 - 550 metres by 40 metres. Only available with specific written or SMS permission.
Departure procedure – Runway 20 – After departure, turn right 20 degrees of centre line as soon as safe and practicable
Download the Pooleys Entry online flight guide PDF
Please note: for pilots – the following applies:
The Aerodrome operates within London Southend Airport’s (LSA) Controlled Airspace
London Southend Airport Controlled Airspace (CAS) Safety Information Notice and Operating Procedures for the “Stow Maries Box”.
26.03.17 - 26.03.17
Our Mother's Day Afternoon tea and sing-a-long is sure to delight
01.04.17 - 01.04.17
A monthly activity day at Stow Maries for 8-14 year olds to explore and enjoy a variety of activities linked by the theme of ‘flight’! From simple paper planes to building a series of ‘build and fly’ models, from creating gliders and rockets
05.04.17 - 05.04.17
Join us Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome this Easter holiday for a fantastic fun day, making Rocket Cars with the kids.
Hundreds of people braved the crisp air to attend the Remembrance Day ceremonies at Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome near Maldon on 13 November.
Representatives from all branches of the...
Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome CEO Ian Flint shares what he has been up to since joining the team three months ago.
Well, it’s been just over three months at Stow Maries...