Directions by Road
Directions for vehicles weighing under 7.5T
For coaches and vehicles over 7.5T, please see Directions by Coach
Most Sat Navs, any use of the Postcode and Waze will direct vehicles to the wrong entrance. To reach the Hackmans Lane entrance we recommend using what3words - which is free: ///passports.glorious.mulled
The quickest way to get to us is to follow the A414 through Danbury until your reach the major roundabout. Go straight over, taking the B1010 to Burnham, keeping your eye out for the Brown signs - there is one on the roundabout exit to get you started.
Take the first right turn off the B1010 than STAY ON THIS ROAD, through the next village (Purleigh/Cock Clarks) and out the other side onto the long, straight road that is Hackman's Lane. We are on the right, about about a mile after you leave the village. We are signposted clearly.
More detailed instructions are below.
Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome
Please park in signed car park unless otherwise directed.
Visitors should report to the Engine Workshop Museum, on the right hand side, almost opposite the large green hangar.
The Hackmans Lane entrance should not be used for vehicles over 7.5 tonnes. Please see Directions by Coach for larger vehicles.
Directions from the M25
- At Junction 28 of the M25, turn North on the A12 towards Chelmsford/A1023/Brentwood/London (E&C)/Romford.
- Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Chelmsford/A12. Keep right at the fork and merge onto A12
- At Junction 18 (Chelmsford Park and Ride) of the A12, turn East on the A414 towards Danbury and continue through Danbury towards Maldon.
- At the roundabout take the 2nd exit, straight across, onto the B1010 Burnham Road.
- Take the first right, Marlpits Road, towards Cock Clarks and Cold Norton. There is a ECC Brown sign advertising us on the right.
- At the crossroads, go straight on. This is now Hackmans Lane.
- Follow Hackmans Lane through the village of Cock Clarks towards Cold Norton.
- Approximately 1.5 miles from Cock Clarks, there is a large sign on the right hand side there is a further ECC Brown sign. At the entrance, there is a large white sign showing the entrance to Flambirds Farm.
- Turn right onto the concrete track. You will pass another white sign at the bend. Move past the farm to the Aerodrome (0.75 miles).
- Park in the designated grassy cordoned off area to the left before you reach the main buildings.