37 (Home Defence) Squadron, Royal Flying Corps
Motto: “Wise without eyes”
Badge: A hawk hooded, belled and fessed, wings elevated and addorsed. This badge is indicative of the duties of blind flying
Authority: HM King George VI, April 1943
Statistical information on 37 Squadron operational flights
- There was only one operational sortie recorded in 1916
- Captain KN Pearson took off from Rochford at 13:45 and landed at 15:25
- No further details were recorded
- There were 149 operational sorties recorded in 1917
- A total of 236 hours and 9 minutes were flown on operational sorties
- The longest flight duration was a total of 4 hours and 4 minutes. This was flown by Captain CA Ridley on 25th May 1917 flying B.E.12a A6318, he took off from Stow Maries at 17:12 and landed at 21:16
- The average operational flight was 95 minutes
- Goldhanger was the most active aerodrome with about 50% of operational flights from there
- The other 50% were shared between Stow Maries (33%) and Rochford (17%)
37 Squadron pilots
The number of operational sorties each pilot flew and their total operation flight time, in minutes is shown below:
The statistical information only covers operational sorties in relation to attacks by airships and aircraft. There is little recorded information in the public domain regarding other flights such as training flights and testing.
For more information on 37 Squadron, please visit our history page or visit our Squadron Museum.
26.03.17 - 26.03.17
Our Mother's Day Afternoon tea and sing-a-long is sure to delight
01.04.17 - 01.04.17
A monthly activity day at Stow Maries for 8-14 year olds to explore and enjoy a variety of activities linked by the theme of ‘flight’! From simple paper planes to building a series of ‘build and fly’ models, from creating gliders and rockets
05.04.17 - 05.04.17
Join us Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome this Easter holiday for a fantastic fun day, making Rocket Cars with the kids.
Hundreds of people braved the crisp air to attend the Remembrance Day ceremonies at Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome near Maldon on 13 November.
Representatives from all branches of the...
Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome CEO Ian Flint shares what he has been up to since joining the team three months ago.
Well, it’s been just over three months at Stow Maries...